How many of you know it is CLEAN OFF YOUR DESK DAY? Well, it is. Hallmark just hasn’t jumped on board with a lot of hype, but us organizers love this day!
Here are a few quick tips about how to clean off your desk effectively:
- Take it off….take it all off. I like to take everything off my desk and sort it into piles based on category. Bills to pay, respond, take action, trash; whatever makes sense based on what is on your desk.
- Only put back on your desk what needs to be there.
- Find a home for everything that is running around your desk homeless. If it’s there it needs a place to live, not just on top of your desk. You can have piles on your desk (yes, I said that – you really can have piles), your piles just need to be purposeful, orderly and be in a system where the piles are addressed on a regular basis.
- Evaluate what is on your desk. Would it be better off living somewhere else? Does it really need to be sitting on top of your desk? Would it work better in a drawer or on a shelf?
- Take 15 minutes, at the end of the day, to organize your desk in order for the next day. When you walk in the next day, you will be glad you took those few moments.
So, even though I don’t have a Hallmark card I can send to celebrate this day, go celebrate by taking the time to CLEAN OFF YOUR DESK. Let me know how it goes or if you have any questions. I’ll answer your questions right after I get through cleaning off my desk!